Monitoring and maintaining the condition of your machines is essential to maximizing efficiency and prolonging machine life. You need human expertise and the right tools in order to have an effective condition monitoring program.
Condition Based Maintenance (CBM) is a maintenance strategy that monitors the actual condition of an asset to decide what maintenance needs to be done. CBM dictates that maintenance should only be performed when certain indicators show signs of decreasing performance or upcoming failure. Checking a machine for these indicators may include non-invasive measurements, visual inspection, performance data and scheduled tests. Condition data can then be gathered at certain intervals, or continuously (as is done when a machine has internal sensors). Condition-based maintenance can be applied to mission critical and non-mission critical assets.
For condition based maintenance to be successful, there are several other elements of your maintenance operation that need to be in place. That includes having a scheduled maintenance strategy that allows you to inspect and spot anomalies in equipment, and trigger timely follow-up work orders as well. If you want to take the next step and predict which work orders will lead to asset failure, check out what AI-powered work order reports can do for you. It’s also important to have the right parts and supplies on hand when problems in performance are identified and work is created.
Unlike Preventive Maintenance (PM), which uses things like calendar-based maintenance or other means to determine when to schedule and perform maintenance, condition-based maintenance dictates that maintenance should only be done when these real-time indicators show irregularities or signs of decreasing performance. Compared with preventive maintenance, this increases the time between maintenance repairs, because maintenance is done on an as-needed basis.
There are various types of condition based monitoring techniques. Here are a few examples:
- Vibration analysis - measures the vibration frequencies and levels of rotating machinery such as motors and pumps, compressors, all show a certain degree of vibration. Depending on the criticality of machines we would choose to use different solution as Portable analyzer, Wireless system and Real time system,
- Alignment - to aligning between driver and driven of asset, we can serve you in any different types of the machinery as Shaft alignment, Belt and pulley alignment and Roller alignment,
- Ultrasonic analysis - detection of deep subsurface defects such as boat hull corrosion and use to detect gas, liquid or vacuum leaks as Leak detection, Bearing lubrication testing and Steam trap leaks or fails testing,
- Oil analysis - measures the number and size of particles in a sample to determine oil health, contamination, and machine wear both on-site testing and laboratory,
- Infrared - IR cameras can be used thermal imagers to detect radiation from an object to detect high-temperature conditions in energized equipment,
- Electrical - motor current readings by using clamp on ammeters,
- Operational performance - through sensors throughout a system measure pressure, temperature, flow etc.
To learn more about condition based maintenance and how we can help your organization reduce maintenance costs while improving safety and sustainability, visit our services and solution on website.